Monday 18 June 2012

What's love got to do with it?

It's all very well to say that you love someone, but what happens when that love does not fit in with a particular belief system?  Well - it's messy.

I believe that the bible is the inerrant word God.  I believe that the covenant of marriage is and should be between a man and a woman exclusively.  Historically, traditionally and biblically this has been the accepted norm.  This is a fundamental part of my belief system and my faith.  It is my opinion and I am just as entitled to have one as everyone else in the world.

I also believe that God gave us the ability to love whomever we choose, live wherever we choose, work wherever we choose, worship whatever deity we believe in and express whatever opinions we wish to express - whether He agrees with it or not.  In Australia these rights are protected by law - and so they should be.

Can I as a white Australian build a house on sacred Aboriginal land? It's possible - but I would not want to.  It would be incredibly offensive.  Can I walk into a Mosque and enter the men's area? Yes - but that would be totally disrespectful and I would never do that.  Can the government change a law that is fundamental to my religious beliefs? Yes they can. The question is should they?

I express an opinion that is offensive to some - but without malice of any kind, without inciting hatred or discrimination.  This idea of offence without malice is actually central to my religion.  I am called to demonstrate love to others regardless of whether I agree with their life choices or not.  Christianity is founded on relationship with a God whose principles can be seen as repugnant to some and liberating to others. Jesus consistently showed love to people whose lifestyles he didn't agree with.  I aim to emulate this.

I am proud to be part of a group of people who have lovingly given their lives to his cause - to serving and helping others regardless of their religion, sexuality, political beliefs, gender, employment, health status, income level, age, intellect or race.  I do these things because I love Jesus.  I believe in Jesus.  I love people. And I believe in people.  I believe that everyone's basic right to religious and personal freedom should be protected - and that includes me.  Marriage is not simply a state institution.  It is an intrinsic part of my religion's belief system - something at its very core.

I understand the desire for public declarations of love and commitment by all members of our community. I understand the need couples feel for the recognition of those commitments and their associated rights and responsibilities.  Not agreeing is not the same as not understanding or worse, not caring.

I respect freedom.  I respect other people.  I expect those things to be reciprocated.


No comments:

Post a Comment